7 Layer Salad is an American dish consisting of seven different colorful layers of food items. It is served in a glass bowl so that all the layers are visible. The salad is topped with a layer of mayonnaise or sour cream sprinkled with grated cheese. This dish makes for the perfect salad during formal dinners or cocktail parties.
To purchase any highlighted ingredient or equipment used in this recipe, click on it.
- 1 cup Frozen Peas, thawed (or boiled fresh peas, cooled)
- 1 cup Lettuce, chopped
- 2 Carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 cup Spring Onions, diced
- ½ cup Celery Stalks, chopped
- 1 cup Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 cup Cheese, grated
- Salt, To taste
- 1 – 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
Procedure for making 7 Layer Salad
- Place lettuce in a big glass serving bowl covering its bottom.
Note: You may use this large glass serving bowl for this salad.
- Now spread layers of carrot, bell pepper, onion, celery and peas one by one. Reserve some diced spring onions for garnish.
- Combine the salt and lemon juice in a small bowl and drizzle it evenly on the top of the salad. Tap the bowl gently from all sides to allow the salted lemon juice to seep in.
- Spread a layer of mayonnaise over the top and cover it with grated cheese edge to edge of the bowl.
- Spread a layer of diced spring onions on top.
- Cover and refrigerate for 4-5 hours before serving so that all the flavors get blended.