Crispy fried potato patties stuffed with boiled gram lentil stuffing, this Aloo-Chana Dal Tikki recipe yields filling and delicious tikkis that make for a perfect evening snack. Served best with green and tamarind chutneys, these patties are ideal for parties.
Ingredients for Aloo-Chana Dal Tikki
- 4 large Potatoes, boiled
- 1 cup Chana Dal (Gram Lentil), boiled
- 1 medium Onion, finely chopped
- 2 small Green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Fresh Coriander (Cilantro), chopped
- 2 tablespoons Sooji (Semolina)
- Salt, To taste
- Red chili powder, To taste
- Dry Mango Powder (Amchur), To taste
- 5 Bread Slices, soaked in water
- For deep frying Cooking Oil
- In a large bowl mash the boiled potatoes. Add salt, red chili powder, and dry mango powder.
- Squeeze the soaked bread slices between your palms to drain all excess water from them and then crumble the slices into the potato mixture.
- Mash and mix the patty mixture with hands until everything is combined thoroughly.
- In another bowl, combine the boiled lentil with a little salt, red chili powder, chopped onion, chopped green chili, and chopped coriander.
- Place a deep frying pan over high heat with oil for deep frying.
- While the oil heats, prepare the patties. Lightly grease your hands and place a small portion of the potato mixture on your palm.
- Flatten it using your fingers. Then put a little portion of the lentil mixture on it. Roll the potato mixture from all sides to make a stuffed patty. Keep aside.Repeat the same procedure for all patties.
- Spread the sooji out in a plate. As soon as the oil is hot enough, roll each patty in it and slide it carefully in the hot oil.
- Reduce the heat to low and fry the patties to a golden color. Then increase the heat and give them a nice brown color.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels when done.
- Serve hot with green and tamarind chutneys.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 – 5