Black Carrot Kanji or kaali gajar ki kanji is a fermented drink made with black carrots. It is a delicious tangy and spicy Indian drink very popular in Northern India, especially in Punjab. It is supposed to be a good to improve body’s digestion system, especially during summers. It is really easy to make and is said to be good for the gut.
Ingredients for Black Carrot Kanji
- 2 Black Carrots
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 4 – 5 teaspoons Mustard seeds, coarsely ground
- 1.5 liters Water
Note: Wear rubber gloves before beginning this recipe to prevent staining of hands.
- Peel 2 black carrots. Then cut each into halves and then into ¼ inch thick long pieces.
- Transfer all the cut pieces into a large glass jar or container.
- Add salt, red chili powder, and mustard seeds powder to the container.
- Pour in the water and stir to mix everything.
- Close the container’s lid and keep it aside in shade for 5 – 7 days.
- Stir the Kanji once every day.
- The Kanji will be ready after 5 – 7 days. Taste and adjust seasonings before serving. Add a few ice cubes or refrigerate before serving.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes (excluding time needed for fermentation)
Serves: 3 – 4
2 thoughts on “Black Carrot Kanji”
my kanji developed fungus after a day
Hello Huma, usually it is not possible for the kanji to develop fungus so soon unless the black carrots haven’t been cleaned properly of all dirt before making the kanji. Also, the bubbles that you may see on top of the kanji can be due to mustard seeds. Mustard seeds also leave bubbles in the kanji so you don’t need to worry.