Black Carrot Kanji or kaali gajar ki kanji is a fermented drink made with black carrots. It is a delicious tangy and spicy Indian drink very popular in Northern India, especially in Punjab. It is supposed to be a good to improve body’s digestion system, especially during summers. It is really easy to make and is said to be good for the gut.
Ingredients for Black Carrot Kanji
- 2 Black Carrots
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 4 – 5 teaspoons Mustard seeds, coarsely ground
- 1.5 liters Water
Note: Wear rubber gloves before beginning this recipe to prevent staining of hands.
- Peel 2 black carrots. Then cut each into halves and then into ¼ inch thick long pieces.
- Transfer all the cut pieces into a large glass jar or container.
- Add salt, red chili powder, and mustard seeds powder to the container.
- Pour in the water and stir to mix everything.
- Close the container’s lid and keep it aside in shade for 5 – 7 days.
- Stir the Kanji once every day.
- The Kanji will be ready after 5 – 7 days. Taste and adjust seasonings before serving. Add a few ice cubes or refrigerate before serving.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes (excluding time needed for fermentation)
Serves: 3 – 4