Mellow butterscotch ice cream wonderfully enriched with sweet crunchy crushed praline (similar to Indian chikki made of sugar and nuts), Butterscotch ice cream is one of the most delectable ice creams loved by kids and adults alike. Contrary to perception, making this ice cream at home is quite easy.
Ingredients for Ice Cream
- Condensed milk (or Milkmaid) 1-1/2 cup
- Milk 2-1/2 cups
- Milk powder 1/4 cup
- Sugar, powdered 1/4 cup
- Butterscotch essence 1/2 teaspoon
- Biscuits or Wafers For garnish
Ingredients for Praline
- Cashews, coarsely ground 1/2 cup
- Granulated Sugar 1/2 cup
- Butter 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable or Cooking Oil For greasing
- Grease a baking tray with oil and keep aside.
- To make praline, put a nonstick wide pan on medium heat with granulated sugar in it; stir constantly until sugar is well melted and turns into light brown color. Remove the pan from heat.
- Stir coarsely ground cashews and butter into the melted sugar; stir well to coat all nut pieces well with caramelized sugar.
- Pour the melted sugar mixture along with nuts on greased tray and spread it into a thin layer by shaking the tray.
- Let the mixture cool completely and harden. Scrap it out after it is well set and hardened.
- Pound it into coarse powder using a rolling pin, mortar and pestel or in a grinder.
- Except the essence, combine all ingredients for ice cream in a nonstick saucepan and put it over medium heat; bring it to a boil while stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat when boiling starts and simmer for 7 – 8 minutes on low-medium heat, keep on stirring constantly.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in butterscotch essence; then pour the mixture into an aluminum container or any other metallic container.
- Let it cool to room temperature and then cover the container with lid or aluminum foil. Freeze for 3 – 4 hours or until the ice cream is half frozen.
- Bring the container out of freezer; transfer semi-frozen ice cream into a blender and blend for a minute or until it becomes smooth.
- Pour the churned ice cream back into the container and fold in ground praline; mix gently then cover and return the container into freezer for 7 – 8 hours or until well frozen.
- When ready to serve, bring the ice cream out of the freezer and scoop out into serving bowls or cups.
- Arrange biscuits or wafers of your choice decoratively and serve immediately.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes (Freezing will take approximately 14 hours)
Serves: 3 – 4