Supple chicken and veggies in a thick brown spicy soup, Chicken Hot & Sour soup can easily be found in restaurants around the world. It is cooked with many twists and is quite easy to make at home. This is the easiest recipe to prepare this lip smacking soup at home.
To purchase any highlighted ingredient or equipment used in this recipe, click on it.
- 200 grams Boneless Chicken, boiled and cut into chunks or strips
- 100 grams Mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup Carrots, cut into strips and boiled
- 1 tablespoon Ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon Garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Schezwan sauce
- 2 tablespoons Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Cornflour, dissolved in 1/2 cup water
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 4 cups Chicken stock
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
Procedure for making the Soup
- Take chicken pieces or strips in a bowl and drizzle some olive oil on them; toss to coat well and keep aside.
- Put a deep saucepan with olive oil on medium heat and when it heats up, add grated ginger and mince garlic.
- Sauté for a minute and then pour the chicken stock and one cup of water in the saucepan. Stir to mix everything and bring it to boil on high heat.
- Now add the chicken, carrot and mushrooms; stir to mix and then lower the heat.
- Add in soy sauce, Schezwan sauce and red chili flakes. Stir and let the soup simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar and pour the corn flour solution into simmering soup while stirring constantly.
- Now pour in the beaten egg slowly while stirring continuously.
- Check and adjust the seasonings if required then turn of the heat and ladle soup into serving bowls.
- Serve hot California style Chinese hot and sour chicken soup.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
You may add chopped spring onion whites while cooking the soup and garnish it with chopped greens of spring onions.