Give your lunch a tasty twist with this colorful white rice dish. Traditionally Indian, the pulao is one dish that can be cooked in a variety of ways. Try out this one with corn, peas, tomatoes and onions. Serve with easily made sweet-and-spicy yogurt to make your meal complete and wholesome!
For the Pulao
- White Rice 1 cup
- Sweet Corn 50 grams
- Peas 50 grams
- Onion, sliced long 1 medium
- Tomato, chopped 1 medium
- Cumin Seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt To Taste
- Turmeric Powder 1/3 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam Masala 1/2 teaspoon
- Green Chilly, chopped (optional) 1 small
- Water 2 cups (Twice the rice)
- Cooking Oil 2 tablespoons
For the Yogurt
- Fresh or canned Yogurt 1 cup
- Sugar 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Roasted Cumin Powder Pinch
- Wash the rice 2 – 3 times with water, until the starch is washed away and the discarded water is no longer completely white. Then soak the rice in 2.5 cups water for about 1/2 an hour.
- Place a pressure cooker over medium heat and add cooking oil in it. Wash the corn and peas and keep aside.
- Once the oil heats up, add the cumin seeds. As soon as they crackle, add the chopped green chilly and onion.
- Stir-fry the onions and green chilly until the onions become translucent and soft. Then add the chopped tomato.
- Stir-fry everything for 2 – 3 minutes and then add the salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Stir everything.
- Now pour in the water. Also add the washed corn and peas. Gently stir once.
- Drain the rice and as soon as the water in the cooker comes to a light boil, add the drained rice to it.
- Gently stir one last time and then close the lid of the cooker. Increase flame to high.
- After about 3 whistles, reduce the flame to low. Let the pulao simmer for 5 – 7 minutes. Then turn off the flame.
- While you wait for the steam to escape from the cooker, prepare the yogurt. Put the yogurt in a bowl and beat it with a spoon to a thick flowing consistency.
- Then add the sugar to it and again beat it lightly. Pour it in a bowl and sprinkle the red chili powder and roasted cumin powder on top.
- After the steam completely escapes from the cooker, open the lid and scoop out the ready pulao into a serving dish or plate. Enjoy with the sweet and spicy yogurt!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes (excluding rice soaking time)
Serves: 2 – 3