You can get it ready made in a can but nothing can beat this homemade fresh and smooth rich soup with the distinct flavor of mushrooms. Classified as comfort food, it can also be served with a cheese and cream topping and aptly be called Mushroom Cappuccino.
To purchase any highlighted ingredient or equipment used in this recipe, click on it.
- 400 grams Button mushrooms, diced
- 2 Leeks, chopped
- 2 Celery stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons All-purpose flour (Maida)
- 6 cups Vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup Thick cream
- 1 cup Half and half (half milk – half buttermilk)
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- Crushed Black pepper, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon Sugar (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Butter
Procedure for making this Soup
- Melt butter in a pan on medium heat. Add leeks and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped celery and cook further for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Now add the flour, stir to mix everything, and cook for 3 – 4 minutes more.
- Add diced mushrooms and season with salt. Stir and cook covered for about 10 minutes.
- Next add the dried thyme, white pepper and sugar (if using). Stir to mix everything well.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and let it come to a boil. When it starts boiling, check the salt, and add if required.
- Lower the flame and let the mixture simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and let the mixture come to room temperature. Then puree everything in a blender.
- Pour the soup back to the pan and place it on low heat.
- Add cream and half-and-half and let the soup simmer for a few minutes.
- Turn off the flame and ladle the soup into serving bowls or dishes.
- Garnish with crushed black pepper and serve hot!