M&M’s or Gems are those little colored oval discs filled with solid chocolate each of us loved at kids. Here’s a delightful way to use them in an easy to make cake that you’re kids will love you for. Ready in less than an hour, this Gems cake is ideal for any get-together with children; it’s fun to have with grown-ups too!
- Gems or M&M’s ¾ cup
- Chocolate chips ½ cup
- Refined Flour (Maida) 1⅓ cups
- Baking soda ½ teaspoon
- Butter ½ cup
- Sugar 1 cup
- Egg 1
- Vanilla essence 2 teaspoons
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
- Set the oven to preheat at 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter over heat or in the microwave and then add in the sugar and vanilla in it. Blend or whisk to smoothness and then also add in the egg.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt in another bowl. Combine the dry mixture with the wet and whisk until no lumps remain.
- Add the chocolate chips and gems to the batter. Reserve some for garnishing.
- Grease the pie plate or cake tin with cooking spray and then pour the batter into it. Gently shake the tin or use a spatula to smoothen the surface.
- Place the pie plate / cake tin in the oven and bake for 25 – 30 minutes or until the top of the cake is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and insert a clean toothpick in the center to test. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready; else bake for 5 minutes more.
- Gently press remaining gems and chocolate chips on the surface of the cake while it is still hot.
- Allow the cake to cool and then cut into slices. Serve!
Preparation Time: 45 – 50 minutes
Serves: 6 – 8