The classic Indian Khichdi is probably one of the simplest and quickest made complete meal. A combination of Basmati Rice and Yellow Moong Dal completed with a tasteful Ghee and Cumin Seed tempering, Khichdi is a light and healthy meal that is also ideal for infants.
- Basmati Rice 1/3 cup
- Yellow Moong Dal 1/2 cup
- Water 3 cups
- Salt To taste
- Turmeric Powder 1/3 teaspoon
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) 2 teaspoons
- Cumin Seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam Masala (optional) 1/3 teaspoon
- Wash the rice and dal together with water 2 – 3 times.
- Put the rice and dal in a pressure cooker along with the salt, turmeric powder and water.
- Place the pressure cooker on medium-high heat.
- Let it come to a whistle and immediately after the first whistle, lower the flame and let the khichdi simmer for 5 – 7 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and wait for the steam to completely escape from the cooker.
Note: If you do not have a pressure cooker or want to cook the khichdi without it, soak the rice and dal together in 2.5 cups water for an hour prior to cooking. Then put it in a deep pan with the water on medium-high heat. Let the dal and rice cook in the boiling water until both completely boil, even blend together slightly. Then turn off the gas.
- Place a small frying pan over medium-high heat and pour the ghee in it.
- As soon as the ghee heats up, add the cumin seeds to it.
- If using, add the garam masala and remove the pan from the flame.
- Immediately add the tempering to the ready khichdi and stir it.
- Transfer the khichdi to a serving dish and top with fresh coriander / cilantro if desired. Serve hot!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 2 – 3