Sour, sweet, spicy, the Indian Raj Kachori is a unique combo of all these flavors. Yogurt, potatoes, veggies and more filled within a fried sooji covering make this popular snack a favorite for all. Here’s the recipe to make this dish easily at home.
To purchase any highlighted ingredient or equipment used in this recipe, click on it.
Ingredients for Kachori
- 1/2 cup All-purpose flour (Maida)
- 1/2 cup Semolina (Sooji)
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chili powder
- Cooking Oil, for deep frying
Ingredients for Filling
- 1/2 cup Potatoes, boiled, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup Green lentils, boiled and sprouted
- 1/2 cup Chickpeas, tender boiled and drained
- 1/2 cup Pomegranate seeds
- Black salt, to taste
- Red Chili powder, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Roasted Cumin powder
- 1 cup Yogurt, beaten
- 1/2 cup Sweet tamarind chutney
- 1/2 cup Spicy green chutney
- Fresh Coriander (Cilantro), for garnish
Procedure for making Raj Kachori
- Combine all-purpose flour, semolina, pinch of salt and 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder in a large bowl.
- Knead firm smooth dough with a little water.
- Put a pan or wok on medium heat with oil in it for deep frying.
- Take small portions of dough and roll them to lemon size rounds using your palms.
- Lightly grease your kitchen counter or a rolling board and then using a rolling pin, roll the dough rounds into thin circular poori like sheets.
- When the oil heats up nicely, drop one rolled sheet at a time in it gently and fry pressing it gently with a perforated spatula so as to help it to puff nicely.
- Once it is puffed turn the heat to low, flip it over and fry until done. Keep pouring oil on the frying kachori to ensure it fries evenly and becomes crunchy. Fry until the kachori is golden brown from both sides.
- Line a plate with paper towels and transfer the fried kachori to it to drain the excess oil. Repeat the process for the rest of dough. Make sure you turn increase and decrease the heat as indicated. Let the kachoris rest for 30 minutes at least.
- Place a kachori on a serving dish and crack the upper surface with your thumb. Don’t apply too much pressure or you might break the entire kachori.
- Stuff few chopped boiled potato pieces, some boiled lentil sprouts, boiled chickpeas and some pomegranate seeds. Top with generous amount of beaten curd.
- Sprinkle black salt, red chili powder and roasted cumin seeds powder as per taste. Now add tamarind sweet chutney and spicy green chutney. Repeat the layers of fillings until the kachori is almost overflowing.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds, chopped fresh coriander (cilantro). Serve immediately.
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
- You may store fried kachoris in air tight jars at room temperature for few days and use them when required.
- More chopped fruits like apple, banana or grapes can be added to the filling.