Par boiled veggies and chopped fruits tossed in generous portions of mayo and cream, the Russian salad is very easy to make at home and is a great side-dish that can be served for formal get togethers. A personal favorite, this salad gives a sweet tangy taste you’ll want to have over and over again.
To purchase any highlighted ingredient or equipment used in this recipe, click on it.
- 2-1/2 cups Mixed vegetables, chopped into small pieces
(Carrots, French Beans, Potato, Peas)
- 1/2 cup Pineapple, chopped (fresh or canned)
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Fresh Cream (not thick)
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground Black Pepper, to taste
Procedure for making Russian Salad
- Place an open saucepan filled with water on medium-high heat. As soon as it comes to a boil, add the chopped carrots, French beans and peas.
- Let them partially boil to a soft yet not completely squishy state.
- Boil the potato pieces separately. These should be completely boiled because partially boiled potatoes will spoil the salad’s taste.
- Place all ready chopped vegetables in a large bowl and add the chopped pineapple pieces. Toss to combine.
- Add the mayonnaise, cream and sugar. Also sprinkle the salt and pepper.
- Combine everything well and then cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate the salad for at least an hour. Serve chilled.
- Arrange torn lettuce leaves and chopped cucumber pieces in a ring on the edges of the serving platter and spoon the salad in between. Serve chilled.
Preparation Time: 25 – 30 minutes (excluding refrigeration time)
Serves: 8 – 10
You may even add some boiled Sweet Corn to the salad.