Mouth watering main course dish for chicken lovers! Sumptuous boneless chicken tossed in a sweet and tangy honey-vinegar sauce and garnished with sesame seeds, this chicken delicacy can be made easily at home. Can be served as a main course dish accompanying steamed rice or as a hearty appetizer!
- Boneless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces 500 grams
- Honey 1/3 cup
- Sesame Oil 1 teaspoon
- Vinegar 1 teaspoon
- Tomato Ketchup (optional) 1/2 tablespoon
- Salt To taste
- Water 1 cup
- Cornflour / Cornstarch 3 tablespoons
- All purpose flour 1/2 cup
- Egg white 1
- Garlic, minced 2
- Ginger, grated 1 teaspoon
- Scallions (spring onions), finely chopped 1 – 2 tablespoons
- Cooking Oil (for frying) As required
- Sesame Seeds, toasted For garnish
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch, flour, egg white, 1/2 cup water, some salt and 1 tablespoon oil. Mix everything to a smooth batter.
- Add the chicken pieces to the batter. Then using clean hands turn the chicken pieces to coat all evenly with the batter.
- Keep the bowl in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl combine the honey, vinegar, ketchup (if using), sesame oil, remaining 1/2 cup water and some salt. Keep this mixture aside.
Note: Using tomato ketchup gives the chicken a sweeter-tangier taste. However, you can avoid it if you desire.
- Pour oil in a frying pan enough for deep-frying the chicken pieces. Put the pan on high heat.
- Remove the bowl with the chicken pieces from the fridge and once the oil heats up nicely, carefully slide the pieces one by one into the hot oil.
Tip: Don’t fry too many chicken pieces at once or they will stick together.
- Deep fry the chicken pieces to a golden brown color.
- Line a plate with paper towels and transfer the fried chicken pieces to it to drain the excess oil.
- Turn off the heat and remove the frying pan. Place a medium wok on high heat.
- Carefully transfer about 2 tablespoons of the hot oil from the frying pan to the wok.
- Add the ginger and garlic to the work and stir-fry until you can smell the garlic.
- Now pour in the honey mixture to the wok and stir lightly.
- Dissolve the remaining cornstarch in a little water and pour this into the honey sauce in the work. Stir and heat to thicken up the sauce.
- Let the sauce come to a light simmer and then add the fried chicken pieces to it.
- Toss the chicken to cover it with the sauce.
- Finally add the sesame seeds and lightly turn the chicken to cover it with the seeds.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with chopped scallions. Serve hot!
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Serves: 2 – 3