Veggies of choice in a garlicky, sour soup, this authentic Asian soup is popular all over the world. Each country adds its own peculiar twist to it, for example, in the US, bamboo shoots are added to this soup as a must and they keep it less spicy. This is the recipe for Asian hot and sour vegetable soup with some additional twists suggested at the end that you can try out as per your taste.
To purchase any highlighted ingredient or equipment used in this recipe, click on it.
- 1 Carrot, julienne
- 2 Spring onions, whites sliced thin & green cut into rounds
- ¼ Small cabbage, diced into thin strips
- 2 Celery stalks, diced into small pieces
- ½ Red bell pepper, unseeded and cut julienne
- ½ Green bell pepper, unseeded and cut julienne
- 1 teaspoon Ginger, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Garlic, finely chopped
- 100 grams Tofu, diced into cubes
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Cornflour, dissolved in ½ cup of water
- 6 cups Vegetable broth or water
- 1 tablespoon Cooking oil
- Salt and Black Pepper, for seasoning
Procedure for making the Soup
- Pour vegetable broth or water in a saucepan and place it on medium heat.
- While the liquid comes to a boil, put a different fry pan on medium heat with oil in it.
- Add chopped ginger and garlic to the fry pan when oil heats up nicely and saute for a minute. Then add diced onions whites and stir fry for a minute.
- Add diced carrots and stir fry for 3-4 minutes; add in chopped bell peppers and cabbage, saute for a minute and transfer all contents of the saucepan into the boiling water. Turn the heat to low-medium.
- Add in soy sauce and white vinegar, mix well and add tofu cubes.
- Cook for a minute and then add corn starch solution and chili sauce.
- Let the soup simmer for 2-3 minutes or until it reaches the required consistency, also adjust water as per requirement.
- Add in vinegar and turn off the heat.
- Ladle the soup out into serving bowls, garnish with greens of spring onions and serve hot.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- You may add more vegetables to this soup like broccoli, beans, diced baby corns and bamboo shoots or even noodles.
- You may also add a little sugar if you want to adjust the spiciness of the soup.
- Tofu may be replaced with cottage cheese (paneer).