Corn kernels and colorful veggies in a translucent soup, the vegetarian sweet corn soup is refreshing and tasteful and can easily be made at home. It is a part of the Indo-Chinese cuisine and is quite versatile since it can be made with any combination of vegetables or meat (non-vegetarian version).
To purchase any highlighted ingredient or equipment used in this recipe, click on it.
- 1/2 cup Boiled Corn kernels, fresh or canned
- 3/4 cup Assorted Vegetables, finely chopped or julienne
- 2 tablespoons Cornflour
- 1/2 teaspoon Soy Sauce (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Oregano
- 2 cups Vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Spring onion greens, chopped (optional)
- Salt, to taste
Procedure for making the Soup
- Put a saucepan with 2-1/2 cups water on high heat. When it starts boiling add all chopped veggies into it except the cabbage and boil for a minute.
- Drain the vegetables through a sieve and keep aside.
- Dissolve cornflour in 1/4 cup water and keep aside.
- Pour the vegetable stock in a deep non-stick pan and place it on medium heat.
- As soon as the stock starts boiling add the corn kernels in it.
- Boil for 2 minutes or until the corn kernels become soft.
- Add salt, pepper, sugar and oregano.
- Now stir in the dissolved corn flour, while stirring continuously to make a smooth mixture.
- Finally add the boiled vegetables and shredded cabbage.
- Boil for 2 more minutes. Turn off the heat and add soy sauce, stir well.
- Immediately ladle the soup into serving bowls and garnish with chopped green onions. Serve hot!