Semiyan Upma is a light and healthy breakfast dish that can also be served with evening tea. Also called vermicelli pulao, it may be made with any kind of vermicelli (wheat, rice or sooji). Vegetables add a healthier approach to this dish as well as a nice aroma.
To purchase any highlighted ingredient or equipment used in this recipe, click on it.
- 1 cup Vermicelli, roasted
- 1 tablespoon Peas, boiled
- 1 tablespoon Carrot, boiled and chopped
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Peanuts, fried
- 1 Potato, boiled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon Rai (Mustard Seeds)
- 8 – 10 Curry leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons Cooking Oil
Procedure for making Semiyan Upma
- Take a pan with 3 cups of water and put on medium heat. Add vermicelli in it. As the water starts boiling reduce the heat.
- Let the vermicelli simmer for around 5 minutes. As it becomes tender and increases in volume, switch off the heat.
- Drain out in a steel strainer and pour cold water on it. Keep aside for a while.
Note: You may use this steel strainer.
- Put a shallow frying pan on medium heat with oil in it. Add mustard seeds in it, as they splutter add curry leaves and after that add chopped onions.
- Stir fry until brown then add salt, red chili powder and turmeric powder.
- Add boiled vegetables and peanuts, mix well.
- Put vermicelli in it and toss gently to mix well, add lemon juice to it and toss once again.
- Transfer into the serving bowl and garish with chopped coriander.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
- If you don’t have roasted vermicelli just dry roast regular vermicelli.
- Do not over boil the vermicelli otherwise it will become sticky. To check if it is boiled, pick few strands with a spoon and squash between the fingers lightly. It should easily squash.