Black eyed peas are a variety of beans high in carbohydrates. They have a moderate amount of proteins and are low in fat. This is a very common and popular dish of Indian meal menu. To add taste to it a good amount of onions, tomatoes and spices are added. It can be transformed into a salad as well.
Ingredients for Black Eyed Peas (Lobia) Gravy
- ¾ cup Black eyed peas, soaked for 3-4 hours (lobia)
- 1 Onion, grated or ground
- 1 Green chili, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger, chopped
- ½ teaspoon Garlic, chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, pureed
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- Salt, To taste
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon Red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon Fresh Coriander, chopped
- Put soaked black eyed peas in a pressure cooker with 3 cups of water.
- Pressure cook for 10 minutes. Keep aside.
- Meanwhile place a pan on heat and put oil in it.
- Add cumin seeds. When they start to crackle add minced onion to it.
- Stir fry for a few minutes, then add ginger and garlic and cook till the onions turn brown.
- Add tomatoes to the onions and stir fry for a few more minutes.
- Add dry spices and fry till the tempering leaves oil.
- Turn off the heat and open the lid of the cooker carefully if all the steam has escaped.
- Add ready tempering to the boiled black eyed peas and boil for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garam masala and chopped coriander. If the gravy seems too thick, add some water and let the gravy boil for 3 – 4 minutes more.
- Serve hot with chapatti or parantha.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes