A watermelon punch locally called ‘Hwachae’ in Korea is commonly made with a combination of various fruits and sweet drinks and/or liquors. It is often served as a drink, dessert or even a sweet snack. Traditionally water and honey was used as a sweetener but nowadays many other variants like juices and liquors are used for this purpose. Try it out and enjoy this refreshing drink easily at home.
- Watermelon, balled or cubed 2 cups
- Honeydew (Muskmelon), balled or cubed 1-1/2 cup
- Ginger ale (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) 2 cups
- Apple cider vinegar 3 tablespoons
- Honey (Sugar Syrup) 2 teaspoons or as per taste
- Pine nuts (optional) For garnish
- Place cubed or balled fruits in a large serving bowl along with any juices which are released during scooping or cubing.
- Pour ginger ale, apple cider vinegar and honey or sugar syrup over them and mix gently.
Tip: Traditionally Korean drinking vinegar made of black raspberries is used in this drink however, we’ve substituted it with Apple Cider Vinegar which is a little easier to procure.
You may also use pomegranate juice or cranberry juice instead of the vinegar as well.
- Garnish with pine nuts and refrigerate until serving time.
- Serve chilled Korean watermelon punch and enjoy.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes (Refrigeration time not counted)