Moong dal halwa is a delicacy relished by most Indians. This dessert is a favorite among those having a sweet tooth. Primarily made with yellow lentil (moong dal), clarified butter (ghee) and sugar, this dessert is served in almost all parties and formal lunch and dinners. This halwa is often prepared in winters as it gives warmth to the body and it is rich in calories. Here’s the recipe to make delicious Moong Dal Halwa at home.
- ½ cup yellow split lentils (Moong dhuli daal)
- 1/2 cup clarified butter (ghee)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup khoya
- 8 -10 cashew nuts split into two
- 6 – 8 almonds soaked and blanched
- 8 – 10 raisins
- ½ tsp green cardamom powder (choti elaichi powder)
- Wash the lentils (dal) and soak for 3-4 hours. Drain and grind to a coarse paste using minimum water.
- Melt ghee in a broad non-stick pan.
- Put the moong dal paste in it and roast on low flame stirring continuously till golden brown. Keep aside. This will take some time.
- Put sugar and equal amount of water in a pan to boil.
- Boil for two minutes till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Take another shallow pan and roast khoya for 3-4 minutes.
- Put khoya in moong daal paste and stir for another five minutes on low flame.
- Add the sugar solution in it and cook on low flame till the water is absorbed and daal leaves ghee.
- Add cardamom powder in halwa and transfer into the serving bowl.
- Garnish with almonds, cashew nuts and raisins. Serve warm.
Preparation Time: 45 – 50 minutes
- Put some gram flour or semolina in the pan in ghee before the paste of dal to avoid sticking in the pan.
- You can make it in large quantity and store in refrigerator and can use when required.
- Add just a little milk before reheating.
One thought on “Moong Dal Halwa”
“Wow so classy and mouth watering halwa recipe i loved it and please keep posting such tempting halwa recipe because i am Learner of making new and different halwa.
Thanks you Very much For Sharing “