This recipe yields a curry having a strong Indian spice flavor and is ideal to have during fasts since it contains no onion or garlic. Green Peas curry is a quick and easy dish for breakfast / dinner. Serve with Roti / Appam /Kulchas, this curry provides a rich amount of protein for the whole day.
- Dry Green Peas 1 cup
- Red chili powder ½ teaspoon
- Garam Masala ½ teaspoon
- Cumin Powder ½ teaspoon
- Green Chili 1
- Ginger ¼ inch
- Salt ½ teaspoon
Cooking Oil 1 tablespoon
Mustard ½ teaspoon
Dry Red Chili 1
Curry Leaves 5
Cilantro ½ cup
- Pressure Cooker
- Wash and rinse dry peas 4 -5 times. Then soak them in water and leave overnight.
- Pressure cook the peas in 4 cups of water. When done, transfer them to a large bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Chop green chili and ginger finely. Combine them with red chili powder, salt, garam masala and cumin powder.
- Add this spice mixture to the cooked peas and combine well
- Place a a large flat skillet over medium heat and pour oil in it.
- Turn to low heat, add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Split dry red chili into two and drop them in the skillet along with curry leaves.
- Add cooked peas to the pan and cook along with the spice mixture for 5 – 6 minutes on medium heat.
- Add water if necessary to form a semi solid gravy. Turn off the heat and garnish the curry with chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with Roti / Appam / Kulcha.
Preparation Time: 45 minutes