Canapés are crunchy little squares that can be filled up with a variety of fillings from boiled and mashed potatoes to salads to spicy chaats. They make for the perfect evening snack or tea time snack and can grace any informal gathering. They’re easy to make and are ready in just 15 minutes. Loved by kids and adults alike!
- Boiled and mashed Potatoes 2 large
- Onion, finely chopped 1 medium
- Carrot, grated (optional) 2 teaspoons
- Green chili, chopped 1 small
- Fresh Coriander, chopped 1 tablespoon + extra for garnish
- Salt To taste
- Black pepper Pinch
- Refined Flour (maida) ½ teaspoon (dissolved in water)
- Bread Crumbs 2 teaspoons
- Cooking Oil For deep frying
- Boiled Green Peas For garnish
- Tomato Ketchup For garnish + extra to serve
- Prepare the filling for the canapés In a large bowl by combining the mashed potatoes, chopped onion, chopped chili, chopped coriander and grated carrot.
- Add salt and black pepper and mix well.
- Stuff a little portion of this filling in each canapé. Take care while filling that you don’t break the canapés as they’re very delicate.
- Apply a thin layer of the dissolved refined flour on the top of the canapés’ filled side.
- Spread out the bread crumbs on a flat surface like a plate. Keep the canapés with the stuffed side down over the bread crumbs so that they stick to the flour applied surface. This will give them an extra crunch.
- Place a wok on medium-high heat with enough cooking oil in it for deep frying. As soon as the oil heats up, lower the heat and slide the canapés in one by one.
- Fry for a few seconds on each side. Give them a nice brown color on the filled side.
- When done, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the extra oil.
- Garnish each canapé creatively with some fresh coriander, boiled peas and some tomato ketchup. Serve hot!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 10 – 12 canapés