Have you ever had Beetroot in a form other than salad or juice? If not, you’ll find this recipe for Spiced Beetroot (Tamil style Beetroot Poriyal) to be a refreshing change. Sauteed beetroot tossed in mild-strong spices, this dish is a specialty in South India. Typically served with a traditional South Indian thali, this is a main course dish that’s easy to prepare and is delicious!
To purchase any highlighted ingredient or equipment used in this recipe, click on it.
- 2 medium or 1 large Beetroot, finely chopped
- 4-5 Dried red chilies
- 3-4 twigs Curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon Rai (Mustard seeds)
- 2 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- Salt, to taste
Procedure for making Beetroot Poriyal
- In a shallow frying pan heat the oil and add mustard seeds.
- When mustard seeds start to sputter, add dried red chilies (cut in half if they are too big in size), and curry leaves.
- Roast for 1 minute on medium flame.
- Add turmeric powder and red chili powder and roast for another minute
- Add beetroot and 1/2 cup water
- Stir well and cover with lid. Stir intermittently
- Cook until beetroot is cooked (about 20-25 mins)
- Add salt and cook while open (remove lid) until water evaporates
- Serve hot with roti or as a side dish with rice-gravy.