Instant vegetable and rava (sooji) idli that’s a healthy breakfast or any time meal. Very easy and quick to make at home, this recipe yields delicious idlis that are loved by kids and adults alike. Cut them up into 4 pieces for perfect tea time snack. Great as a small party dish too!
To purchase any highlighted ingredient or equipment used in this recipe, click on it.
- 1 cup Sooji (Semolina)
- ¾ cup Sour curd
- ½ teaspoon Salt, or as per taste
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Coriander, chopped
- ½ teaspoon Rai (Mustard seeds)
- 1 tablespoon Carrot, grated
- 1 teaspoon Peanuts, chopped (optional)
- ¾ teaspoon Eno fruit salt
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- Cooking oil, to grease Idli stand
Procedure for making Vegetable Rava Idli
- Combine semolina, salt, coriander, peanuts and mustard seeds in a bowl and mix well. Add curd and mix well, let it rest, covered for 10 minutes.
- Now add water to loosen the batter having the consistency neither very thick nor thin. Add Eno powder in the batter and mix. Add Eno or baking soda just before pouring the batter in the stand for cooking.
- Grease the idli stand with oil or non-stick cooking spray and pour the idli batter in its moulds with a spoon.
Note: You may use this idli maker.
- Steam-cook the idlis in a pressure cooker without whistle (with a little water at the bottom) or in an idli maker for 10-12 minutes. Check if the idlis are done by inserting a toothpick into each one of them. If it comes out clean then idlis are ready otherwise cook them for some more time.
- Bring out the idli stand and let it come to room temperature. Then remove idlis from it and place in a dish.
- Serve hot with chutneys of your choice.