This simple and attractive dish is full of color, flavor and aroma. Bell peppers filled with a tasty stuffing and baked to perfection. The stuffing can be anything you like – rice, cottage cheese, potatoes or even meat; this is one dish that is just as appealing in the vegetarian and non-vegetarian form. Perfect party main course item!
To purchase any highlighted ingredient or equipment used in this recipe, click on it.
- 4 – 6, medium Bell Peppers
- 200 grams Cottage Cheese, crumbled
- 2 medium Onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium Tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup Cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 – 4 small Green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 medium Zucchini, chopped (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder (optional)
- Black Pepper powder, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1 – 2 tablespoons Cooking Oil
Procedure for making Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Remove the tops of the bell peppers and remove the seeds taking care not to cut or puncture the sides. Wash thoroughly and keep aside.
- Place a wok or deep frying pan over medium heat and pour the oil in it.
- Once the oil heats up add the chopped onions and stir-fry them until they become soft and translucent. Reduce heat if needed. You may add a little ginger-garlic paste before frying the onions to give the dish more flavor. Or you could just fry some fresh chopped ginger and garlic along with the onions.
- Add the chopped green chilies and stir-fry for a few seconds. Then add the chopped cabbage and stir.
- Cover the pan or wok and cook until the cabbage softens slightly. Then add the chopped zucchini. Stir and cover the pan again for a few minutes.
- Once the veggies are all slightly tender, add the chopped tomatoes. Stir everything and add the salt. Stir again and cover the pan until the veggies become totally soft and cooked.
- Add all other spices and stir. After a few seconds, add the crumbled cottage cheese.
- Toss and mix to combine all flavors together and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F or 220 degrees C.
Note: You may use this oven.
- Ensure the bell peppers are dry and then fill the stuffing in them to the brim. Then place them in a baking dish.
Note: You may use this baking dish.
- Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until you can see the outer shells of the pepper turn wrinkly and golden.
- Remove from oven and serve as they are or transfer them to a serving platter and serve hot.
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Serves: 3 – 4
You may sprinkle some grated cheese on top before serving.